Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Just Us & the Road

Present Day Note: I just wanted to say a few words about today as I am writing this post. I was able to go back to Colorado {home} a few weeks ago. It felt like a dream because the last time I was there I was packing up my life to put in my parent's shed and left with a backpack full of cold-weather clothes and the tears of a baby not knowing when/if (I was dramatic) I'd be back to hug my family.

Being home with everyone, remembering the last time I was there, I am over-joyed with the appreciation of those who sent us on our way. Our mom's let us go, our friends called us crazy, and our dreams came true. My mom threw me a surpise party. In my mind it was a Congratulations-you-survived-the-edge-of-the-world-nearly-alone-on-a-scooter party! {Yay!} Congrats to me!

Flying back to Orange County (thankful it didn't take two months) made me realize how hard we both have worked together and individually to be where we are at right now. More importantly, I am endlessly thankful that I was able to travel with my best friend. As much as I am in love with my home state, there are incredible sights to see and feel and smell and hear elsewhere. Anywhere else. I just so happened to take in every inch of the West Coast.

July 12th - 15th, 2012

"You see things vacationing on a motorcycle in a way that is completely different from any other. In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything  you see is just more TV. You're a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame. On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming...And the whole thing, the whole experience is never removed from your immediate consciousness." - Zen and the Art of Morotcycle Maintence, Robert M. Pirsig

From The Rainforest Hostel to Hoquiam to Tokeland to Astoria, Oregon was 130 miles. We road long days, got in a huge fight, fixed a broken tent, stayed in a haunted hotel, road in the rain, road through Aberdeen where my brother used to live, ate at many bakeries, got lost, pushed forward, crossed a 3 mile bridge, and ended up at a hostel in Astoria for a full day of rest, a few beers, our first (and last) oyster shooters, and a movie at a small theater.  Mostly these days consisted of gas station stops for bathroom and snacks, bakery rests, side of the highway fruit and water breaks, audio-books, setting up the tent, taking down the tent, coffee, laundromat hunting, and keeping our eyes open for something different around every bend.


Word Association
Camping: dirt, snoring, trees, time, comfy, raccoons
Public Bathrooms: cold, gross, yoga (in order to not let ANYTHING touch the floors)
Fruit: lots! delicious, stands
Wind: loud and cold, love it
Smells: fish, strawberry feilds, cheese factories, Ocean Spray factory, road kill, moist forests
Ocean: big! blue, mysterious, strong
Animals: raccoons, cats, cows, pelicans, seals, whales
Tears: many, detoxing
Laughs: mostly others laughing at us, our inside jokes
Strangers: opinions, helpful, hurtful,
Sunshine: hardly any first 1/2 of trip, feels good
Fog: strange, cold, comforting
Restaurants: ideas, too many, breaks, spoiled
Bakeries: yum! happy place, comfort food


(Not sure if it's kosher to show these pics side-by-side, 
but know that we were responsable while enjoyig 
a beverage on the side of Highway 101.)


















1 comment: